A presentation on gamification and learning to our Manchester based IT partner.
We wish to get to a point with the game where the user is immersed in the experience. A state where ability is matched to challenge so time flies by and the learning is profound. These principles of gamification and learning lie behind some of our design work.
- blissful productivity
- small progress steps
- urgent optimism nurtured by challenges
- different layering and levelling of challenge and achievement
- granular feedback to aid progression
- personalised and ‘owned’ through pictures, icons and badges
- communities of collaboration
As the GOAL App has been built, we’ve noticed some principles are harder to achieve. Each word and phrase we use links directly to the OUP 3000/5000 Word List which matches achievement against the Common European Framework’s globally recognised level criteria. With fixed content – the languages themselves – it’s harder to embed ‘blissful productivity’ with ‘urgent optimism’ as learning a language is hard work!